Additional Links to visit

Saturday, June 7, 2008

Book Cover for Spiral Bound Date Book


A close friend asked me to make a book cover for a spiral date book. She wanted it for a graduation gift. The fabric had to have pink in it so this is what I came up with. The pattern came from Fons & Porter Winter 2007 Easy Quilts magazine. I forgot I had that magazine, but thanks to Sandy, she gave me the link to the covers she made. I thought now wait a minute I have that magazine. Please take a look at Sandys, they are all wonderful.



The original pattern called for pre-quilted fabric. I new my friend would prefer a smooth and not so padded cover. Therefore I chose these two batiks and used flannel in lieu of batting to make it more sturdy. She chose the spiral fabric for the outside and the multi-color for inside. I thought best to bind it with the same spiral fabric rather than the contrasting fabric. As you could see in Sandy's pictures the pattern was designed with a rounded cover. My friend preferred to have a point. I sewed a ribbon at the point to wrap around the cover and wrap around the button placed on the point rather than the front of the cover. I also added a piece of ribbon over the slider pocket to be used as a bookmark. The original pattern also included a pen pocket which she didn't want, but I guess a pen could be slipped in the spiral binding if necessary.





6 comments:

Penny said...

Oh I like that!! I will have to go back and see if I have that pattern - I should have the magazine.

Judy S. said...

Your book cover turned out just great, Kathy.....lucky friend!

jessicasews said...

Kathy - I love the fabrics
you used!
The book cover is gorgeous!
What a great gift.

TattingChic said...

That is gorgeous. The fabrics you used are just beautiful!

Dana said...

Beautiful! I have been wanting to make some journal covers but can't quite seem to get geared up to do it. This is awesome!

SandyQuilts said...

Hey Kathy isn't that the greatest pattern. I LOVE LOVE the fabrics. How could I have missed the notebook cover posting.

I'm adding you to my google.com/reader so I never miss a single post.

Thanks for visiting my blog.