Additional Links to visit

Wednesday, June 4, 2008

Google Reader

Bonnie asked for more information on Google Reader.

After you register and set up your account all you need to do to add a blog is click on "add subscription" and paste the address. Reader will then add the last few posts from the blog. Sometimes you can read the whole post. Other times because the blogger has it set up to show a partial post you will need to click on the arrow beside the post heading and be taken directly to the blog to continue reading.
I guess there are many reasons to setup partial posts, one being if you have a stat counter you can find out what part of the world the person is from who just visited your blog. Some interesting information becomes available that way.

To leave a comment you must also click the arrow and go directly to the blog.

If you want to flag a particular post you can add a "star". Other options are share with a friend, email and add tags for future reference. When you tag a post, reader then creates a list of those tags. You can also search the posts.

Most important, it saves time. If a blogger doesn't post for a while, no need to keep checking back, when they post you will automatically receive the new post.

To go from one post to another just hit the space bar. If the post is fairly long it will just advance you down the post until it reached the bottom and then on to the next post.

There are also different "view" settings, choose the one that you like best.

I hope this information helps. If anyone has anything to add or share, please do.

7 comments:

TattingChic said...

Melissa at Honey Bee's Bliss told me about google reader. It's great. I am still wondering how to get a badge from it to my blog. Oh, thanks for your comment on my blog post today, I left you a "novel" of a response about "the flip" right after it. Let me know if it helps or not.

jessicasews said...

Kathy - Thank you! I didn't know how to go about that!
~ Jes

Judy S. said...

Thank, Kathy, for the info!

Mikol said...

Thanks for the info, I'll have to look into it. I don't keep track of too many right now. A few family members and cyber-friends. Thanks again.

Barbara said...

Kathy, thank you so much for your post on Google Reader. I have added all my favorite blogs and Flickr sites. This sounds so convenient and I'm looking forward to using it in the future.

Thanks again for sharing this great tool with us.

kaleidoscopeimpressions said...

Wow, good info here. I don't get to read as many as I plan to.
btw, love your notebook cover - that's what I was talking about by making pockets to slip the book flaps into. I need to do that to my diet group journal! Thanks for the inspiration.
Blessings, Joyce

Melissa said...

OH ya and you can click on the share button to share posts that you really enjoyed with others! After you click the share thingy you can go to the sidebar and click on shared items and you can see instructions for putting a shared items thingy up on your blog sidebar, I have that and see from sitemeter that people do click on them to see them! Way cool!