Additional Links to visit

Monday, November 3, 2008

Chili Recipe and Job Search

What a title. LOL No I am not looking for a cooking job, at least not at the moment. If it comes to that, you do what you have to do to survive. We watched Fun with Dick and Jane Friday night. It was a good movie, but wasn't the best movie to watch considering you are about to lose your job along with 325 others. Had a good ending though. There have been more new plant lay-offs and two more plant closings in the area since DH was notified he would be out of work. I wish I knew what the unemployment rate is for this county. PA might not be so bad as a whole, but the three surrounding counties have been hit hard.

I called Career Link on Friday to find out what their WIN Skills program was all about. It is an assessment tool and you take a math and reading test. I hesitantly signed up for it wondering if it will help or hurt my search for a potential job. I am ok at math, actually liked Algebra in school. Don't ask how many years ago that was. The use of Algebra helps with writing formulas on my Lotus spreadsheet. So I am nervous about what to expect. If I do too bad I wonder if they will allow me do it again.:)

Now for the fun part. I won a fob from Sonda at "Who has time to stitch" blog, very pink give-away. Thanks Sonda for your thoughtfulness in honor and memory of breast cancer victims and survivors.

Karen South has challenged her blog readers to publish their chili recipes on their blog and link to her blog for a give-away.

Kathy's Chili

1 pound ground beef or turkey
1 small onion, chopped
1 med large green pepper diced
1 can (28 oz) Del-Monte tomatoes, undrained (Basil/Oregano flavor)
1 can of tomato soup, with bits of tomato
1 can (15-1/2 oz) Mexican chili beans or regular kidney beans and then add chili powder to taste.
1 Can (15-1/2 oz) black beans
1 can (15-1/2 oz) pinto beans

Optional: 1 T grated semisweet baking chocolate ( or a few chocolate chips)

Macaroni
Shredded taco cheese

Cook and stir beef in large nonstick skillet. Then add onion and green pepper and lightly saute. Drain fat.
Add tomatoes, soup, beans, chocolate; mix well. Can thin with beef broth or water if desired.
Bring it to a boil and then cover; reduce heat to simmer for 30 minutes. Stir occasionally.

Cook macaroni in another pan according to directions. I guess you could do it right in the chili but I always usually make to much so I make it in another pan. Drain

When ready to eat, add macaroni to your bowl and top with chili and sprinkle cheese over it.

8 comments:

TattingChic said...

Your chili sounds delicious. I may have to try it! Good luck with the job search and God bless!

Kathy said...

Tattingchic, Thanks for the well wishes on the job search. I need it.

Debra said...

My son is a chef for a grocery store so cooking for a living is not such a bad idea!

I do hope you find something suitable soon.

Karen said...

Kathy this sounds delicious! and to think you added chocolate. Interesting .... I'm going to have to try some of these chili recipes for my next pot.

Ray said...

I loves me some chili..some job sites -

www.linkedin.com (professional networking)
www.indeed.com (aggregated job listings)
www.realmatch.com (matches you to the perfect job)

those are the 3 newest job siters from about.com's top ten job site list.

Julia said...

oh Yummy!
I love Chili, thank you for thr ecipe..
Hugs julia

Kathy said...

Debra, Thanks for stopping by. I noticed from your blog he is a chef. That is a wonderful profession and I am sure you are proud of him. I didn't mean it was a bad thing, just don't think that is where my heart is. :)

Karen, You can be the taste tester judge and give a review of each recipe. :)

Ray, Thanks for the job sites.

Julia, thanks for stopping by. If you decide to try the recipe hope you enjoy it.

everythingquilts said...

I hate to hear that so many are losing their jobs. I think looking for a job is more stressful then having a job. I feel for you and wish you luck in finding a job that you will love. This is the perfect time of year to start making chili, thanks for the recipe.